Strengths of this risk prediction model for Barrett's includes the relatively large number of cases
Welcome to ESOCAN – an educational resource for the public and medical community dedicated to the prevention and control of esophageal cancer, which is the sixth most frequent cause of cancer-related death in the world.
This resource initially will focus on esophageal adenocarcinoma (EAC), which is the most common type in the U.S., western Europe and Oceania, and later will be expanded to include esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC). New information will be highlighted from time to time in the blog. If you would like updates delivered to your inbox (1 - 2 per month), sign up for the newsletter.
Additional information is available through the menu options:
- Background describes the basic epidemiology of esophageal cancer
- Risk factors summarizes what is known about possible causes of EAC and opportunities for prevention
- What’s your risk? introduces the IC-RISC™risk calculator which estimates an individual’s risk of developing EAC
- Blog is where new findings and editorials are highlighted
- Additional resources provides links to information regarding prevention and control of this disease
- The BEACON consortium tab summarizes findings from this consortium which was founded in 2005 to study causes of EAC
- About includes contact, disclaimer and privacy information